High salt intake is now endemic worldwide. It contributes to the generation and maintenance of high blood pressure, which is now the biggest risk factor for global disease. There is now compelling evidence to support salt reduction in hypertensives and a substantial body of evidence to support salt reduction in the general population to reduce risk of death from cardiovascular disease. In specific diseases such as heart failure and chronic kidney disease, guidelines support the World Health Organization target for reduced salt intake at 5 g daily.
Taste buds become more sensitive to salt within a few months. Once taste buds have adjusted, individuals find they prefer food with lower salt content.
Tips for Reducing Sodium Intake at Home
- When cooking, use alternatives to replace or reduce the amount of salt you use, such as garlic, citrus juice, salt-free seasonings, or spices.
- Prepare rice, pasta, beans, and meats from their most basic forms (dry and fresh) when possible.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Limit sauces, mixes, and instant products, including flavored rice and ready-made pasta.
Air-Fryer Fish Tacos
These crispy air-fryer fish tacos are good enough to challenge the best food truck. I love that the fish is deliciously guilt-free because it’s air-fried instead of deep-fried.
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 tilapia fillets (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each white pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
1. Place sour cream, chiles, cilantro and lime juice in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
2. Cut each tilapia fillet lengthwise into 2 portions. Place flour, egg white and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip tilapia in flour, then egg white, then crumbs.
3. Preheat air fryer to 400°. In batches, arrange fillets in a single layer on greased tray in air-fryer basket; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until fish flakes easily with a fork, 10-12 minutes, turning once.
4. Combine seasonings; sprinkle over fish. Place a portion of fish on each tortilla; top with about 2 tablespoons sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with tomato. If desired, top with additional cilantro.
Low Sodium Vegan Pho
This is my low-sodium version of the classic pho. It doesn't have the same taste as the traditional pho, but is tasty in it's own way with all the fragrant spices used. For me it's the perfect compromise to get a flavorful and kidney friendly Vietnamese soup.
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ yellow onion peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger peeled, thinly sliced
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 2 star anise
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick 6po – 15cm
- ½ tbsp whole coriander seeds
- ½ tsp whole cardamom seeds
- ½ tsp whole fennel seeds
- 50 g large rice noodles uncooked
Suggested Toppings (See Note 2)
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup bok choy
- 2 lime wedges
- 1 cup tofu slices or cubes
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil for cooking
Spices: star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick(s), coriander seeds, fennel seeds and cardamom seeds
Optional: Prepare the suggested toppings. If you want to do it exactly as shown in the photo, heat the sesame oil in a pan to cook your tofu and bok choy. You also need to chop the green onions and slice the lime wedges.
4. Once the broth is ready, strain it and discard everything except the broth itself.
5. In a bowl, add the rice noodles, broth and any other toppings of your choice.
Note 1 – Nutritional calculation
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
Make a perfectly air fryer baked sweet potato cooked in less time than it would in the oven – fluffy in the center with crisp skin!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, about 6 ounces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt to taste
2. Meanwhile, wash the sweet potatoes and pat them dry. Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork a few times each.
4. Cook the sweet potatoes in the air fryer for 25-30 minutes or until they feel fork-tender (you can adjust the cook time depending on the size of your potatoes. When they are easily pierced with a fork, they are ready.)