The kids will be starting school soon! Still eating sandwiches? Get a new twist. These easy recipes will help your kids get more energy in school.
Oven-Roasted Mixed Vegetables With a Maple Glaze 🥗 via.@Jolinda Hackett
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 medium head cauliflower, about 2 cups, separated into florets
- 9 ounces Brussels sprouts, about 2 cups, halved
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- On a rimmed baking pan, evenly scatter the chopped sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts in a single layer and set aside.
- In a small microwavable bowl, place the butter or vegan margarine, maple syrup, salt, and pepper and microwave on low setting, just until the butter or vegan margarine is melted. Give it a quick stir to combine everything.
- Immediately (before it cools!) pour this maple glaze over vegetables and sweet potatoes and gently toss it all together to coat the vegetables and sweet potatoes as evenly as possible.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and cook until tender, about 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tip: You can use Acekool Air Fryer instead of the oven, it only takes 30 minutes.
Cold Soba Noodle Salad 🍝 via.@Laurel Randolph
- 8 ounces dried soba noodles
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, or canola oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce, such as Korean chili sauce, or Sriracha
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
- 4 small Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks or coarsely grated
- 1 small red or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 6 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons packed chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Gather the ingredients.
- Cook the soba noodles according to the package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain well. Set aside.
- Make the dressing. Combine the oil, lime juice, ginger, vinegar, sesame oil, honey, and chili sauce in a small mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the soba noodles, cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, radish, spring onion, and cilantro. Add the dressing and toss well to combine. Taste for seasoning.
- Top with sesame seeds and serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to one day. Toss again before serving.
Mini Lunchbox Pizzas 🍕 via.@eatingwiththekids
Made using 2 ingredient dough these little pizzas are perfect for lunchboxes and parties
Ingredients for 12 mini pizzas
- 150g Greek yoghurt
- 160g self raising flour
- Pizza sauce*
- Toppings of choice
- Handful of grated cheddar
*To make a simple pizza sauce mix 1 tbsp tomato purée with 1 tbsp water and a pinch of oregano and garlic granules
- preheat the oven to 180c fan
- lightly grease the mini loaf tray
- in a large bowl mix the yoghurt and flour to make a dough - add more flour if it's too sticky to handle
- roll it into a log shape then cut into 12 slices
- press each pizza base into the mini loaf tray
- top with pizza sauce, then a teeny bit of topping (today I did chicken & sweetcorn, ham & mushroom)
- add a sprinkle of grated cheddar
- bake for 25 minutes
❄️ freeze for up to 3 months
Grilled Corn Summer Pasta Salad 🍝 via. @Rachel Gaewski
Ingredients for 6 servings
- 2 ears corn
- olive oil, for brushing
- 8 oz dried orecchiette pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- 2 cups cherry tomato
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 ½ cups fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Microwave the corn on a microwave-safe plate on high for 7 minutes. Remove from the microwave, and grip the corn with a dish towel. Then cut off the bottom end with a serrated knife. Slide the corn out of the husk. It should come out fairly easily with none of the silky string mess.
- Brush the corn with olive oil, then place on a cast iron grill pan or outdoor grill over medium-high heat. Grill for 5-6 minutes on each side, until the kernels are slightly charred.
- Insert the narrow end of an ear of corn into the center hole of a bundt pan. Holding the corn steady with one hand, saw off the kernels with a serrated knife. The kernels will fall into the pan for easy collection.
- Make the cilantro-lime vinaigrette: Combine the cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, honey, salt, and pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, add the pasta, corn, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, and vinaigrette, and mix until well-combined.